Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Week 5: Improve Society

I related a lot with this thread, and I think it is all due to my teaching background.  

The first thing that really stuck out to me was the fact that as librarians, we value learning.  My whole life I grew up thinking I was going to be a teacher.  Teachers were my heroes, and I could think of no better profession.  But pretty soon after I had my own classroom, I was unhappy with my career.  I couldn't understand it.  I love learning.  I love school.  (I know, I'm a nerd.  Deal with it.)  So why in the world would I dislike teaching others?

But it wasn't the fact that I disliked teaching.  I love teaching.  I love imparting knowledge to others.  I love the moment when the light bulb clicks, and the concept you were teaching makes sense.  It was the school system that I couldn't handle.  It was the environment I was constantly forced to face that I disliked so much.  So in this program, whenever it is brought up that we facilitate learning, I LOVE it!  I love the fact that I still get to teach, but in a different setting.

I also love the fact that by becoming a librarian, I am becoming a life long learner.  I love going to school, and if it was possible, I'd become a professional student.  But since that's not possible, I guess this is the next best step.

I also completely agree with the fact from the Atlas that says, "the best decisions and the best knowledge come from working in the richest information environment possible."  In my undergrad, we were constantly being taught that we needed "literacy rich" classrooms.  That we needed books of all genres and reading levels, that we needed computer and technology resources, that we needed signs and posters encouraging learning and discovering, and all of these needed to be accessible for the students.  And I think that can be brought right back to the library.

When it comes to improving society, I believe that librarianship and teaching go hand in hand.

And what can I say?  That makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment